News

Irish dog owners warned of three lesser known toxic threats to dogs this Easter


Dogs Trust have today issued a warning to all dog owners as most households will see an array of chocolate treats and other foods toxic to pups coming into their homes this weekend.

If you have a furry friend running around, you need to be extra vigilant to ensure they don’t get a hold of any treats that are not specifically made for dogs – and could have fatal effects on them.

According to the warning, visits to the vet are easily avoidable if proper precautions are put in place.

“The biggest toxic threat to dogs is consuming chocolate as it contains theobromine which can have fatal consequences,” a spokesperson for Dogs Trust says.

READ MORE:Dogs Trust says hundreds of dogs have been sent back to them since Christmas

However, the experts are now warning that chocolate is not the only cause for concern at this time of the year.

Daffodils also pose risks as these lovely flowers traditionally gifted at Easter can be toxic if consumed.

Eating the bulbs, flowers or even drinking water from the vase can have similar effects to eating chocolate.

The same can be said for hot-cross buns, another popular Easter treat, as ingesting even a small amount of raisins could lead to kidney failure.

Veterinary and Welfare Manager at Dogs Trust Ireland, Niamh Curran-Kelly said: “We love seeing dogs being included in the festive fun, but chocolate is something that shouldn’t be shared.



Irish dog owners warned of three lesser known toxic threats to dogs this Easter
Irish dog owners warned of three lesser known toxic threats to dogs this Easter

“Nobody wants to be rushing their dog to the vet with suspected poisoning over the Easter holidays.

“We’re asking dog owners to please be careful if you are organising an Easter egg hunt in an area that your dog can easily access.

“Please also remind children that although it may be tempting to share with their dog, that when it comes to chocolate, sharing is not caring.”

Dog owners are warned that if they suspect their dog has eaten any quantity of chocolate or any other toxic item, you should contact your vet for advice immediately.

The sooner veterinary treatment is started, the greater your dog’s chances of recovery are.

Storing your local veterinary practices out of hours number in your phone and bringing the packaging of what you suspect your dog has eaten can play a vital role in aiding a speedy recovery.

UCD also has a 24-hour helpline if your vet does not have an out of hours number or if you cannot get through to their existing one.

Their emergency pet hospital is open from 7:00 pm – 8:00 am on weekdays and is open 24 hours across weekends and bank holidays.

Get breaking news to your inbox by signing up to our newsletter.





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.